We are running submitted questionnaires from candidates in the 2022 elections. Read more responses from candidates by clicking on the links at right.
We are working with all candidates in contested races to get their questionnaires included on our website.
If a candidate is having trouble sending in a questionnaire, please click on an existing profile in your race. Send the same information, your numbered answers and your photo in an email to acopley@HDMediaLLC.com. You will receive a confirmation email back within two business days.
NAME: Russell Deskins
CANDIDATE FOR: Mingo County Commission
HOME CITY: Lenore
HOME COUNTY: Mingo
EDUCATION: High School Diploma.
CURRENT OFFICE OR OCCUPATION: Mining Contractor 25+ years. Asphalt Contractor for the past 2 years.
CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS: Tug Valley Road Runners Club; Mingo County Airport Authority.
FAMILY: wife, Linda; daughter, Sabrina and her husband Chad; grandchildren, Aidan, Addyson and Ava.
PERSONAL STATEMENT: We have always lived in the Heart of the Billion Dollar Coal field which has been under Democratic rule for the past 75 years and unfortunately we can’t go back. Millions of dollars have been wasted but we do have plenty of young, smart and innovative kids. If given a chance maybe with all the grants and collection of tax dollars we can dig our way out of the mess. Definitely can’t be doing the same thing over and over. I was just a poor boy from Naugatuck raised up on welfare whose dad passed away when I was 14 years old.
1. How could the commission implement better county planning into the next decade?
New Commissioners have new ideas.
2. How would you encourage economic development in the county?
MCRA is open to more citizens.
3. What more needs to be done about dilapidated housing in the county?
Enforcement, and now the state has the funds to get it done.
4. What are the three most pressing problems the county faces?
Jobs, Garbage and Sewage
5. What are your top priorities for moving the county forward?
Infrastructure, Jobs and Schools
6. Would you be in favor of increasing the size of the sheriff’s enforcement offices?
I would like to meet monthly with the Sheriff to find out the needs of his department.
7. What needs to be done about litter control in the county?
The DEP needs to enforce the laws.
8. What will you do to balance the budget in light of the cap on funding for county jails?
Work with the Prosecutor and Sheriff.
9. Are you interested in fitting renewable energy into local planning and development? If so, how?
Yes, we need to start recycling our trash.
Additional questions for the general election
10. If Amendment 2 were to pass, how do you anticipate the county would react to the loss of revenue? Would you reduce services or increase tax revenue from other sources?
Being able to say what I would do in that situation is difficult without knowing the county's budget, the amount of money the county has lost, and the cost of running all services offered in the county. Our county cannot lose essential services such as police and fire departments. Our Seniors also depend on senior centers for food and daily needs.
11. What can the County Commission do to attract new businesses to the county?
I think the county needs to start recycling. Plastics is a billion dollar industry and would bring much needed jobs to our county.