Prison sentences were meted out to seven defendants who appeared before Chief Judge Michael Thornsbury, Monday and Tuesday in Mingo County Circuit Court, and dates were set for sentencing in two other cases.
Assistant Mingo County Prosecuting Attorney Teresa Maynard appeared for the state in the various hearings.
–34-year-old Christopher Solon Evans of Kermit, drew the longest sentence in a state corectional facility during the two days of court proceedings.
Judge Thornsbury sentenced him to serve not less than five years nor more than 18 years for second degree robbery to which he pleaded guilty Feb. 24. He was represented by Attorney Jonathan Jewell.
–A 64-year-old Kermit man identified as Jerry Marcum received a prison sentence of one to three years for attempted delivery of a Schedule II controlled substance (Oxycodone).
Marcum, who was represented by Attorney Jonathan Jewell, had entered a plea of guilty to the charge Feb. 24, to his January 2011 indictment.
– Clint Edward Marcum, 28, Kermit was sentenced to a prison term of not less than one year nor more than three years on his Feb. 24 plea of guilty to attempt to deliver a Schedule II controlled sbstance (Oxycodone).
He was represented by Attorney Jerry Lyall.
– Jerry Hercle Flemings, 19, Route 1, Kermit, received a sentence of one to three years in a state correctional facillity after pleading guilty to attempt to commit grand larceny. He was charged in a January 2011 indictment.
Flemings was represented by Attorney David Foley.
All of the defendants were assessed standard fees and court costs and those who were sentenced received credit for time already served while awaiting court action.
– Larry Dale Kirk, 34, of Beaver, received a sentence of one to three years on his Feb. 24 plea of guilty of an attempt to commit grand larceny.. He was represented by Attorney David Foley.
– Eugene Lester, 50, of Isaban, received a sentence of one to three years after pleading guilty Feb. 24 to an attempt to commit grand larceny of railroad anchors owned by Norfolk Southern Corporation. Attorney Steven Knopp was his counsel.
– Dennis Graham Gearles,19, North Matewan, was sentenced to serve one to five years in a state correctional facilitiy in connection with his plea guilty Feb. 24 to unlawful assault. he was indictedby the January 2011 grand jury. Attorney Jonathan Jewelll represented him in the proceeding.
– Shane Robert Marcum, 26, address not available, was indicted by the January 2011 grand jury but pleaded guilty to a January Information charging him with sexual abuse of a person under 18 years of age. He also pled guilty to a charge of destruction of property, contained in Count II of his original indictment. Marcum, who was represented by Attorney Jerry Lyall, is scheduled for sentencing at 10 a.m. on April 26.
– Leo Childress, 29, Wiliamson, pled guilty to the delivery of a Schedule II controlled substance, and is slated for sentencing at 10 a.m. April 26. He was indicted on that charge by the January 2009 grand jury but had been absent from court action since that time.