Last updated: October 23. 2013 10:32AM - 2380 Views

Demetra Rashon Smith
Demetra Rashon Smith
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

WILLIAMSON - An eighteen year-old Williamson teen was arrested Sunday evening after officers with the Williamson Police Department (WPD) were called to the scene of a domestic disturbance in process.

According to the criminal complaint filed by WPD Lt. J. Hall Jr. and Patrolmen J. Marcum and J. Tincher, they responded to a domestic disturbance at a Victoria Courts apartment and upon arrival, could hear a female screaming for help. After gaining entry, the officers found Demetra Rashon Smith and a female victim (S.E.) involved in an altercation. The female was trying to get loose from the grasp of Smith, who was screaming, yelling and holding her down.

The officers intervened and took the victim outside the dwelling and found her to have injuries to her face and arms. She relayed to the police that she and Smith were involved in a relationship and had been drinking prior to falling asleep. She stated that she had awakened to Smith striking her in the face and choking her for no apparent reason.

Meanwhile, inside the apartment, officers had difficulty subduing Smith, who tried to jerk away from them and attempted to kick Lt. Hall in the leg and was tased for his efforts and his refusal to cooperate with authorities, according to the report. The defendant was arrested and was taken to the WPD for processing, during which time he also gave a statement as to the events that he said led up to the physical confrontation.

According to Smith, he and the female, who he claimed to have been dating for about three months, had consumed alcohol and were watching a movie and had both fallen asleep. He stated he awoke to her messaging someone on Facebook and she then told him she had to leave, and the argument ensued. Smith stated that he didn’t mean for this to happen and claimed that things just “got out of hand”.

Smith was charged with domestic battery, disorderly conduct and two counts of obstructing an officer. He was arraigned before Mingo County Special Magistrate Kim Smith and was remanded to the custody of the Southwestern Regional Jail at Holden on a $2,500 bond, until which time he was released on bail.

The victim was transported to the Williamson Memorial Hospital and was released after being treated for her injuries.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Williamson Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com