By Kyle Lovern
HARDY, Ky. – The Belfry Volunteer Fire Department battled a huge blaze early Friday at 3702 State Highway 319 at Hardy.
The house where the fire occurred was located just above Mudlick Hollow, according to Fire Chief Nee Jackson.
The 911 call came in just after midnight, Jackson said.
“We were on our way back from another call at Walmart and hadn’t made it back to the station. So we were there at the scene very quickly,” the fire chief said.
“When the call came in, they said there may have been a male subject inside,” Jackson said.
The structure, which was a house occupied by Craig and Carmella McCoy, was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. No injuries were reported. The house once was the home of former Belfry High School football star Tony Messer.
The house is listed as a total loss. It is believed the homeowners had insurance.
Jackson believes the fire started from a kitchen stove.
Capt. James Earl Williams said 12 firemen responded to the blaze. The fire department used three trucks, a pumper, a tanker and a utility truck.
The Blackberry Volunteer Fire Department responded with mutual aid. They brought two trucks and five firemen.
Firefighters were on the scene until about 4:45 a.m.
Kyle Lovern is sports editor of the Williamson Daily News. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 304-235-4242, ext. 33, or on Twitter @KyleLovern.