Missing man search continues

By Kyle Lovern

August 26, 2014

By Kyle Lovern


LENORE - Rescue crews, including volunteers and emergency personnel, are still searching Pigeon Creek in the Lenore area for the body of a man who is believed to have drowned after an ATV accident Saturday night.

Cadaver dogs were brought in to aid in the search for the missing man, according to Doug Goolsby, acting emergency services director for Mingo County.

The missing man has been identified as 43-year-old Roger Urban of Lenore.

The team of workers were searching under a bridge where tons of debris were bottled up against the structure.

“There is a lot of debris, logs, and trash, so they are removing that by hand, a piece at a time,” said longtime Lenore Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jeffrey Farris.

The area was hit by flash flooding Friday night and Saturday morning as local creeks and streams were swollen above normal levels.

First responders believe Urban fell into the creek behind his home after an ATV he was riding slipped into the muddy stream behind his home near Cheech’s Restaurant. The accident occurred around 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. The Lenore Volunteer Fire Department received the call about 8 p.m. and began a search soon afterward.

The ATV was recovered, but Urban’s body has not been found.

Crews searched on Sunday and Monday, and continued to the recovery operation on Tuesday. They were using boats and some men were wading the creek hoping to find the body and give the family some closure.

Swift water rescue crews from four counties have spent the past four days searching the water and banks.

The divers used an underwater camera to aid in the search. They also attempted to clear out a 15-foot debris pile, built up at a bridge after Friday night’s terrible storm. About 2 to 4 inches of rain fell in the region, causing flooding and damaging several homes in the hollows along U.S. Highway 119 in the Myrtle area.

The Mingo County Sheriff’s Department and troopers from the West Virginia State Police were also on the scene Tuesday afternoon.

Volunteers and emergency responders stop their efforts at dark each night, but resume the next day at 8 a.m.

Farris says the rescue teams won’t stop until they find Urban’s body.

Kyle Lovern is the sports editor of the Williamson Daily News. He can be contacted at klovern@civitasmedia.com or at 304-235-4242, ext. 2277, or on Twitter @KyleLovern.