Father and son arrested during separate incidents

Rachel Dove rbaldwin@civitasmedia.com

May 13, 2014

By Rachel Dove


DELBARTON - A local father and son were taken into custody within a week of each other on separate charges. However, one of the circumstances that led to an arrest involved both parties.

Micah Baisden, 28, of Delbarton, was arrested by West Virginia State Police Trooper D.M. Williamson and Delbarton Patrolmen J. McCown and J. Tincher, and was charged with domestic battery, battery, disorderly conduct and obstructing an officer.

The complaint states that the defendant hit his father, Terry Lee Baisden, 46, several times after being told to leave the residence. He is also said to have struck Bobby Gravely after Gravely attempted to pull the son off of the father. While in custody, Baisden became physically combative with Tincher, the report states.

A few days prior to this incident, state police Trooper H.A. Rose had obtained an arrest warrant for the father, after taking a complaint from a store cashier who said she was forced to pepper spray the defendant to get away from him.

The arrest report reads that the trooper responded to Spence’s Gas Station near Delbarton in reference to a battery complaint. Prior to arriving at the scene, the officer was advised that the alleged perpetrator had been pepper sprayed by the cashier, Sarah Jane Hurley, and had left the location on foot, the complaint states.

Rose said he made contact with Baisden, and saw that he was highly intoxicated, reeking of alcohol. He displayed slurred speech, had trouble maintaining his balance and staggered while walking, the trooper said. The defendant was detained and placed in the back seat of the police cruiser while a statement was taken from the victim, Rose said.

The cashier said the defendant had entered the store and walked around the counter where the victim was seated and repeatedly rubbed on her leg and her abdomen, and tried to wrap his arms around her. She said she warned Baisden several times that if he did not quit and leave the business, she was going to pepper spray him. The defendant chose to ignore her warnings, she said, and after counting to three in a last ditch effort to convince him she meant business, the victim sprayed Baisden in the face.

Surveillance video footage at the gas station was viewed, and corroborated the victim’s statement. Hurley told the trooper that Baisden was a frequent visitor to the store where she is employed, and had frequently made inappropriate remarks to her.

Baisden was charged with one count each of battery, assault and public intoxication, and was remanded to the custody of the Southwestern Regional Jail at Holden until he met the stipulations of the bond conditions set by Senior Status Magistrate Kim Blair.