Three killed in traffic accident near Belfry

By Kyle Lovern

September 19, 2013

Kyle Lovern


BELFRY, Ky. – Three people were killed in a 2-car accident around 10 a.m. on Thursday morning on U.S. 119 at Sharondale, Ky., which is located near Belfry.

The names of the three victims were identified by the Kentucky State Police (KSP) as 25 year old Teshia Henry of Prestonsburg, Ky., who was traveling North on U.S. 119 when she lost control of the 2005 Kia Optima she was operating. Henry’s vehicle crossed the centerline and median of the freeway into the Southbound lanes of U.S. 119 striking a 2002 Toyota Tundra operated by Steven Douglas Viars II of West Virginia.

The truck had a sign on the door reading Saminco Electric Traction Drives of Lavalette, W.Va.

Henry and her passenger Howard Ravin 43 years old of Salyersville, Ky. were pronounced deceased at the scene by Pike County Deputy Coroner Mike Hall. A second passenger in Henry’s vehicle, Bambi Davis 48 years old of Salyersville, Ky. was transported to South Williamson Appalachian Regional Hospital where she was pronounced deceased.

This accident remains under investigation by KSP. KSP Accident Reconstructionist Trooper Bryan Layne was at the accident to gather information for his report. Trooper Layne was assisted on scene by Troopers Jason McClellan, Hoyt Smith, Detective Jason Merlo and Detective Kevin Newsome.

The wreck occurred near the Oakwood Mobile Homes dealership. The weather was rainy and foggy and EMS workers said this could have played a part in the accident.

The Belfry Fire Department and Appalachian First Response ambulance service were also on the scene of the wreck.

According to an eye witness, the driver of the car was traveling north, lost control on the curve and crossed in front of the pickup truck. The car ended up in the ditch on the other side of the south bound lanes.

The driver of the truck was also taken to ARH, but his injuries were not life threatening, according to Bill Ball of Appalachian First Response.

The fire department swept debris from the road and put down a drying agent to soak up fluid that had spilled from the truck.

Traffic was backed up for over a mile in the north bound lanes. At one point, traffic was tied up in all four lanes of the highway.

Two minor accidents occurred due to the traffic congestion, as cars began to back up after the first accident.